Filipina Rape and Stabbing Survivor in Kuwait Joins Embassy Repatriation Flight to Finally Return to the Philippines

KUWAIT 29 November 2020 - A Filipina domestic worker who won a rape and frustrated murder case in 2014 against a Kuwaiti traffic police officer will soon be reunited with her family and start a new life in the Philippines.

“Marissa” joined the Philippine Embassy in Kuwait’s 20th repatriation chartered flight to Manila on 29 November 2020, coinciding with the Philippine commemoration of the 18-Day Campaign to End Violence Against Women (VAW). Her airfare was shouldered by the Assistance to Nationals (ATN) Fund of the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA).

In a courtesy call prior to her departure, Philippine Ambassador-designate to Kuwait Mohd. Noordin Pendosina N. Lomondot extended his best wishes to “Marissa” as she restarts her life in the Philippines. “The Embassy is glad that Marissa will finally close this difficult and painful chapter of her life, and will embrace her 14-year-old son once again after years of working overseas. I pray that with her second life, Marissa’s story and bravery will continue to serve as an inspiration to others in fighting for what is right and just,” Ambassador Lomondot said.

On the night of the special chartered flight, Embassy officials led by Vice Consul and ATN Head Adrian Audrey L. Baccay and Welfare Officer Llewelyn D. Perez sent off Marissa and the other Filipino repatriates at the Kuwait International Airport.

Marissa stayed at the Embassy’s ATN Shelter and at POLO-OWWA’s Migrant Workers and Overseas Filipinos Resource Center for years while pursuing her case in court. Through the use of DFA’s Legal Assistance Fund, the Embassy was able to secure competent counsel for Marissa which assured her legal victory. She was represented in her case by Kuwaiti lawyer Sheikha Fauzia Salem.

“This victory is an example of the government’s continuous efforts and commitment in protecting and promoting the rights of our distressed overseas Filipinos anywhere in the world. After the long wait for justice, we are glad that we are finally bringing her home to reunite with her family and loved ones,” said Foreign Affairs Undersecretary for Migrant Workers’ Affairs Sarah Lou Y. Arriola.

In the early morning of October 1, 2012, Marissa was raped, stabbed multiple times, and left for dead in South Surra Area by Kuwaiti police officer Lance Corporal Yahiya Mohamad Ahmad Abdullah. She was brought to the Mubarak Al-Kabeer Hospital after a good Samaritan took notice of her crawling on the roadside to seek help.

In June 2014, the Kuwaiti Court of First Instance found the Kuwaiti traffic officer guilty of rape and frustrated murder charges, and sentenced the latter to death by hanging. However, the court ruling was later commuted to a life sentence. The Kuwaiti Ministry of Interior, the employer of the Kuwaiti traffic officer, later paid the civil compensation for Marissa upon order of the court. END