Bulletin: On the Repatriation of 15 Filipinos from Libya
The Philippine Embassy in Tripoli sends off the latest batch of 15 Filipinos to be repatriated from Libya on Wednesday. The repatriates, who include five minors and two students from the Islamic Call College, will arrive in Manila on Thursday. (Tripoli PE photo)
29 May 2019 – Fifteen more Filipinos were repatriated from Tripoli today, bringing to 70 the number of those who have been assisted in returning to the Philippines since the current crisis in Libya broke out almost two months ago.
The latest repatriates, who include five minors and two Islamic scholars, comprise the biggest batch to be assisted by the Philippine Embassy in Tripoli under the repatriation program being jointly carried out by the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) and the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE).
Embassy Chargè d’Affaires and Head of Mission Elmer G. Cato said the repatriates are now en route to Tunis where they will board their connecting flight to Manila via Dubai. They will arrive in the Philippines on Thursday afternoon.
The Embassy, at the same time, reiterated its appeal to the more than 1,000 other Filipinos still in Tripoli to accept the government’s repatriation offer because of intensified fighting in the immediate outskirts of the capital. The Embassy also appealed to their families in the Philippines to convince them to accept the offer or to at least move themselves to safer ground.
The Embassy made the appeal as it expressed serious concern over the safety of at least 40 Filipinos in areas where fierce fighting continues to take place.
Chargé d’Affaires Cato said the Embassy has lost contact with around 14 Filipinos working for Al Nahr Company who insisted on staying in their compound even after it was occupied by fighters belonging to one side of the conflict. It was learned that the compound was struck by artillery rounds last week that left several foreign workers wounded. The Embassy is also concerned about the safety of 18 Filipino nurses from the Al Afia Clinic that was struck by mortar rounds last month.
Chargé d’Affaires Cato said Filipinos working or living in areas where fighting is taking place should at least try to relocate themselves to avoid getting caught in the crossfire. END
(Tripoli PE photo)